The latest addition to Nantucket’s boutique hotel scene is perhaps one of the destination’s most private. With only 12 keys, Blue Iris by Life House provides visitors to ACK with a quiet, upscale new option for resting their head during a visit to the island.
Found just off the bustling Centre Street, Blue Iris is the best of both worlds: it’s within spitting distance of Nantucket’s vibrant shopping and dining scene, but also tucked away from the noise within a historic Greek Revivalist townhouse on picturesque Hussey Street.
The stunning home once functioned as the vacation property of an art collector, and its current design still pays homage to her love for Portuguese art, Mediterranean design and the serene seaside. Examples include a custom Murano chandelier in the lobby, tufted bed frames bedecked in a vibrant palette of blue and white, and antique nautical accents sprinkled throughout the property.
Each of the 12 single-family rooms and oversize suites are unique, thanks to collected artwork, Portuguese pattern-play, antique wood details and more. In the bathroom, find luxurious, hinoki-scented Le Labo bath products.
Breezy afternoons are best spent in the property’s secret garden patio, located on the ground floor around from the hotel’s entrance. There, a courtyard fountain and custom tiled fireplace create a serene ambiance, and plush seating galore invites patrons to stay awhile.
The brand new hotel just made its debut on July 6, meaning you can still be one of the first to stay at this one-of-a-kind Nantucket property.
- Location: Nantucket, Massachusetts
- Stars: Five-star
- The Vibe: Tranquil New England townhome-living in the heart of the island, with the added perks of world class hospitality.
- Food + Drink: Though not advertised during booking, Blue Iris does offer a complimentary breakfast each morning. Simple, sweet-leaning options include items like croissants, almond butter toast and parfaits. Oh, and coffee, of course.
- Amenities: A secret garden patio; daily breakfast; daily happy hour
- Our Favorite Thing About the Hotel: Despite its affiliations with both Blue Flag and Life House, Blue Iris feels distinctly like a bed and breakfast, thanks to its location inside a historic Greek Revivalist home.
- What’s Nearby: Blue Iris is within walking distance from most of the top ACK attractions, from the iconic Brant Point Lighthouse and picturesque Steps Beach, to hot spot CRU for a night out.
- Any Personal Neighborhood Recs? Blue Iris is less than one block away from Centre Street within the heart of Nantucket’s historic district. Pick up a new outfit from Olivela, browse nautical home goods at Freedman’s of Nantucket, or grab a drink at Sister Ship, also affiliated with Life House.
- Rooms: 12 cozy rooms and suites decked out with ornate details, whimsical art and antiques, Le Labo toiletries and Nantucket charm.
- Starting Nightly Rate: Rooms start at $750/night.
- Closest Airport: Nantucket Memorial Airport