Built into cliffs above the ancient fishing village of Conca dei Marini, Borgo Santandrea is the first new luxury hotel to open on the Amalfi Coast in 15 years. It’s a stylish and serene sanctuary with swish coastal design, amour-inducing views of the Mediterranean Sea, and a romantic atmosphere.
The aesthetic marries classic Italian charm and contemporary seaside sophistication infused with mid-century modern touches that nod to the original 1960s-era structure. Ceramics handmade by local artisans and Venetian glass lamps add even more character to the interior spaces. Of course, the dazzling design isn’t just limited to the indoors. The signature hand-painted blue and white tiles extend seamlessly to the generous outdoor terraces. Fragrant native plants—olive, lemon, and pomegranate trees, winter jasmine, bougainvillea, and myrtle—line the walkways and staircases. The result is airy and elegant with a distinct sense of place that feels unmistakably Amalfi.
Borgo Santandrea has 29 guest rooms and 16 suites. Accommodations flaunt floor-to-ceiling windows, Once Milano linens, Acqua di Parma toiletries, Italian marble bathrooms, and sweeping sea views. Some even have private saltwater plunge pools.
The culinary program is run by Michelin-starred chef Crescenzo Scotti. All three restaurants and bars pay homage to local ingredients. Alici celebrates classic Campania flavors with tables in a sun-lit dining room and panoramic patio. Artfully prepared, modern dishes take center stage at La Libreria. The beach club serves more casual fare like wood-fired pizzas. La Terrazza bar stands out as the most stunning place to sip a Negroni or Aperol spritz and watch the boats bobbing in the azure waves. It’s also possible to book a private tasting in the wine cellar.
Unique for the Italian Riviera, the property boasts an exclusive beach club. The oceanfront pool is another splendid spot to take a dip. There’s also a private jetty and boat so that guests can arrive and depart via the water.
- Location: Amalfi, Italy
- Rating: Five-star
- The Vibe: A respite of coastal sophistication with a chic beach club and sweeping views of the Mediterranean Sea.
- Amenities: Beach club, private jetty and boat, manicured gardens, three restaurants, two bars, wine cellar, outdoor saltwater pool, and sea-view terraces.
- Food + Drink: Every morning, the divine aromas of fresh-baked bread and pastries fill the air at the breakfast buffet. The beach club is the perfect spot for pizza and vino after a swim in the warm waters of the Mediterranean Sea. It doesn’t get more romantic than a sunset cocktail at La Terrazza bar. La Libreria treats diners to gastronomic delights that look (and taste) like edible art pieces.
- Our Favorite Thing About the Hotel: The fact that the property boasts an exclusive beach club –– quite unique for the Italian Riviera.
- Any Neighborhood Recs? Take a short boat ride over to La Tonnarella, Jackie Kennedy’s favorite restaurant, for lunch or head to the town of Amalfi to do a little souvenir shopping and soak in the lively ambiance of Piazza dei Dogi. When hunger strikes, grab a table at L’Abside Restaurant for zucchini pasta and the catch of the day. Save some room for dessert. The main street is linked with gelaterias that scoop traditional lemon sorbet.
- Nearby Attractions: Cathedral of Saint Andrew, Chiostro del Paradiso, Villa Rufolo, Grotta dello Smeraldo, and cycling through the hilly countryside.
- Rooms: 45 rooms and suites decked in Italian-made splendor with Once Milano linens, Acqua di Parma toiletries, and Italian marble bathrooms.
- Pricing: Rooms start at $770/night
- Closest Airport: Naples International Airport