Santa Monica is one of Los Angeles’ most praised locales: its surf, sand, shops, restaurants, and buzzy promenades for strolling contribute to its positive reputation. Within its locus is the Kelly Wearstler-decorated, design-centric boutique hotel, Santa Monica Proper.
Sandy palettes, beachy Art-Deco eccentricity, a rooftop pool deck (the only one on the westside), and Eastern-inspired wellness at the Proper Hotel make it a hub of serenity and laid-back luxury in the heart of Santa Monica.
Visionaries The Kor Group and Kelly Wearstler took a circa-1928 Arther E. Harvey-designed Spanish Colonial Revival building and turned it into a modern-day oasis. A natural, organic palette, metal accents, and furnishings made with wood, stone, and plaster lend hand to the artfulness of the natural beauty surrounding the property.
Each of the 271 guest rooms & suites typifies the laid-back luxury of a Californian lifestyle. An abundance of natural light floods through curved floor-to-ceiling windows, casting light on the furniture designed uniquely for each room. Mobile room keys via the Proper App allow for access to the rooftop pool, surfboards, bikes, a yoga studio, and state-of-the-art fitness center on the second-floor terrace.
Surya Spa––the 3,000-square-foot flagship collaboration with celebrated wellness practitioners Martha and Roger Soffer––follows 10,000 years of Indian wellness principles to create individually curated programs that bridge the physical, mental, and spiritual. Popularized by the Kardashians, Surya’s signature residential series—Panchakarma––lasts between three and twenty-one days, and detoxifies plus cleanses the body of waste.
As with all Proper Hotels, the culinary options impress. Palma is the art-filled lobby lounge influenced by the Balearic islands serving light bites, boutique wines by the glass, and small-batch mezcals. Calabra is the indoor-outdoor rooftop bistro serving Mediterranean mezze, signature libations, and biodynamic wines with sweeping coast views.
We’ll see you at the Santa Monica Proper.
- Location: Santa Monica, California
- Rating: Four-star
- The Vibe: The “looser luxury” that is offered by all Proper Hotels, with the soul of Santa Monica’s laidback lifestyle at its core.
- Food + Drink: Each of the three dining spots on the property perfectly marry indoor and outdoor living. Calabra boasts biodynamic wine, cocktails and Californian / Mediterranean cuisine. Olea offers inventive sushi and sake, and Palma, the lobby lounge, is ideal for art and natural-wine lovers.
- Amenities: Outdoor swimming pool; Daily housekeeping; Spa; Fitness center; Free bicycles; Pets allowed
- Our Favorite Thing About the Hotel: Sunset at Calabra – it’s the perfect (and only!) place to take a dip in the rooftop pool while watching the sunset for the evening.
- 5 Nearby Attractions: Third Street Promenade; Palisades Park; Ocean Avenue; Santa Monica Beach; Pacific Park; Santa Monica Farmers Market
- Any Personal Neighborhood Recs? Start the day with an iced latte and donuts (there are vegan options, naturally) at Sidecar Donuts, just a little ways down the road from the property. End the night with a quick walk down the opposite direction to Esters Wine Shop & Bar; this art deco-style space is the perfect backdrop for wine and light bites, all of which are made with either certified and/or practicing organic, biodynamic, no-till, dry-farmed, and regenerative farming methods.
- Rooms: A total of 271 serene rooms boast views of the surrounding landscape, many with terraces.
- Pricing: Rooms start at $450/night.
- Closest Airport: Los Angeles International Airport