From the moment you enter Drift San José del Cabo, you will immediately feel relaxed and at home. The intimate, minimalist boutique hotel will continue to welcome you as you walk through their lush gardens of palm trees and make your way up to your room.
What was once an eight-key inn, has been completely transformed and renovated into a 29-guestroom hotel featuring amenities like a courtyard pool, mezcal bar, hammock seating, and rooftop terrace.
Each of the four room types – Paradise Cove, Baja Room, Drift King, and Surfer’s Hideout – offer a minimalistic industrial feel that is anything but cold. Rooms are painted bright white and covered in a smooth concrete finish. Natural light constantly fills the room reflecting off the floors and walls, creating the feeling of a much bigger and brighter space. Hanging lights covered in woven baskets adorn the walls along with cacti, artwork, and other local design touches that truly embody the authenticity of the historical city.
Room perksinclude floor to ceiling windows, open in-bedroom concrete tub and shower (our favorite part of our room), sundecks, private balconies, and courtyard views. Each room is filled with custom lotions, soaps, and other products featuring desert marigold, sandalwood, and smoked teakwood.
Drawing inspiration from the surrounding nature, the hotel seamlessly blends into the calming vibe of Baja California Sur. Its industrial chic aesthetic can be felt through the use of heavy raw materials used to fill the space, while its all white exterior creates a vibrant backdrop for the abundant greenery.
The center gathering point of the hotel is Drift Kitchen + Mezcal Bar. It’s the first thing you will see when you enter the property, which is filled with endless palm trees, sparkling lights, and vibey music. They serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner with menus full of locally sourced ingredients. Thursdays at Drift is a festive night during the famous Art Walk that is not to be missed. Open to visitors and guests, they host a party filled with tacos, craft cocktails, and live music.
Want to book this hotel? Click here.
- Location: San José del Cabo, B.C.S., Mexico
- Star Rating: Four Star
- The Vibe: An minimalist-style escape in the heart of Cabo’s Art District
- Our favorite thing about the hotel?: The overall energy of the hotel: it’s tranquil and energetic at the same time.
- Food + Drink: Drift Kitchen + Mezcal Bar is open to visitors and guests of the hotel alike. Enjoy a mezcal tasting by the outdoor fire pit or grab a glass of wine at the bar. Their grilled mezcal blue shrimp and seared sea bass with esquites are not to be missed.
- Any neighborhood recs?: You are in the heart of the city and walking distance to endless bars, restaurants, shops, and art galleries. Our favorite restaurant within walking distance was Jardín Secreto, which transports you to a hidden but expansive jungle garden. Take a short car ride across the bridge to Acre & Flora Farms to enjoy beyond fresh farm-to-table meals.
- Amenities: The rooms feature amenities like floor to ceiling windows, open in-bedroom tub and shower, sundecks, private balconies, and courtyard views. The hotel has a mezcal bar & restaurant, free surf board rentals, a rooftop terrace, hammocks, and a pool.
- Rooms: 29 guest rooms and suites: Paradise Cove, Baja Room, Drift King (we stayed in this), and Surfer’s Hideout
- Pricing: Rates start around $140/night
- Closest Airport: SJD San José del Cabo International Airport is about a 20 minute drive to the hotel.
Other articles you may like: