Walking up the flower-framed stairs to Splendido, A Belmond Hotel it’s easy to imagine what it must have been like to see Grace Kelly traipsing along the cobblestone pathways or witness Elizabeth Taylor diving into a plate of tomato spaghetti. Everything about this legendary five-star property nestled in the hills above Portofino reads at once nostalgic and timeless. Over the years, it has welcomed aristocrats, celebrities, and well-heeled travelers and earned a deserved reputation as a prestigious holiday hideaway.
Splendido, A Belmond Hotel is an emblem of enduring style and elegance. The lobby presents period furnishings and original details. Framed photos of famous guests—including Dame Maggie Smith and Walt Disney—hang on the walls at La Terrezza Bar, a character-rich space with hand-painted murals, black and white marble tiles, and live piano music. Espresso and classic cocktails like Negronis are also available throughout the day on the terrace overlooking the yacht-filled Bay of Portofino.
La Terrezza Restaurant serves elevated Ligurian gastronomic delights and fine regional wines in a romantic al fresco setting. Arguably the most recognizable spot is the heated saltwater infinity pool with sun loungers, poolside pizza service, and jaw-dropping panoramas.
Sparkling diamonds sit in displays by the elevator. The hallways leading to the guest quarters reflect an inherent dedication to tradition, too. Unwavering attention to detail extends to the rooms, which showcase sumptuous linens, marble bathrooms, and Acqua di Parma toiletries. A favorite of silver-screen legends and other high-profile holiday goers who want a bit more privacy, the grand Dolce Vita Suite is swathed in pastels and flaunts a spacious private garden seating area.
It makes sense that a beacon of luxury like Splendido, A Belmond Hotel would partner with another prestige icon. The Dior-branded pop-up spa offers glow-boosting facials in toile-draped treatment cabins set in the lush, fragrant gardens. Guests can also partake in exclusive experiences such as romantic sunset cruises aboard the hotel’s private boat, olive oil tastings, and sunbeds at Bagni Fiore.
Everything about Splendido, A Belmond Hotel feels elegant in a way that’s effortless and never contrived. Strolling around, it seems like “Abbronzatissima” might start playing at any moment. It’s one of those rare properties where the fantasy of it all actually lives up to the reality.
- Location: Portofino, Italy
- Stars: Five-Star
- The Vibe: Timeless Ligurian glamour framed by manicured gardens and sweeping views of the Bay of Portofino.
- Food + Drink: La Terrazza Restaurant is the hotel’s main fine-dining venue (be sure to make a reservation in advance). It’s the place to savor elegantly plated pasta, an extensive wine list, and spellbinding panoramas. Enjoy espresso or a cocktail at the atmospheric La Terrazza Bar. There’s also a poolside eatery for pizzas and more casual fare.
- Amenities: Heated saltwater infinity pool, wellness center, gym, tennis court, two restaurants, bar, private boat, complimentary shuttle to La Piazzetta, and exclusive access to Bagni Fiore.
- 5 Nearby Attractions: Castello Brown, Area Marina Protetta di Portofino, Piazza Martiri Dell’Olivetta, designer shopping, and Marina di Portofino.
- Any Personal Neighborhood Recs? Take advantage of the complimentary shuttle to La Piazzetta, Portofino’s iconic main square. Browse the luxury designer boutiques—among them Brunello Cucinelli, Louis Vuitton, and Missoni—and sit down for lunch at either the hotel’s sister property, Splendido Mare, or one of the restaurants around the marina. We’re fans of the fritto misto at O Magazin.
- Rooms: 23 rooms, 32 junior suites, and 15 suites, including the famous Dolce Vita Suite, which has a private garden.
- Starting Nightly Rate: Rooms start at $800/night (low season)
- Closest Airport: Genoa Airport