The northern Catskills are flourishing with new hotels and restaurants, and one that continues to evolve while maintaining its strong history is the ever-so-charming Shandaken Inn. Just under two-and-a-half hours from New York City, the B&B is a sound choice for a getaway of any sort (think: babymoon, honeymoon, new couple romantic retreat or even a mother-daughter trip). What stands out the most – beyond of course the impeccable design and comfort – is the exquisite on-site dining overlooking the grounds at The Clubhouse Restaurant & Bar.
Set on 12 acres of bucolic grounds, the property is bordered by the Esopus Creek which is beloved by many for its world class fly fishing. Of note: to those who ski and snowboard, the inn is only 25 minutes away from Hunter Mountain. Upon entering, you’ll feel instantly cozy with a library vibe featuring wooden chairs, books on books and a lounge with a wood burning fireplace. And the feel you’ll get makes sense as Shandaken Inn is a historic property, having been originally built in the 1920s. Maintaining its original structure and charm, the inn did undergo a recent renovation specifically designed to appeal to modern travelers.
Shandaken Inn is home to 15 guest rooms themed to pay homage to the storied past of the Catskills. The rooms truly are luxurious – you’ll walk into a that feels fresh with a wooden bed and Bassett mattress, a fireplace and seating area and Frette linens. You’ll wish the large bathroom was your own with Ceramic Portico tiles, Blackman bath fixtures and Malin & Goetz bath amenities.
Though the surrounding area is abound with trails and mountains, you can also enjoy on-site activities as the property has a state-of-the-art fitness center with Pelotons and treadmills, along with seasonal tennis courts and a swimming pool.
Over the summer of 2022, Shandaken Inn broke ground on a new phase for the property. The hotel will introduce new modern country chic cottages and a small private spa on property. The structures will continue to pay homage to the stories past of the Catskills, featuring a theme of their former great resorts and camps throughout the region while creating a warm modern country living atmosphere. Be sure to check back for the next renovation phase.
- Location: Shandaken, NY – under 30 minutes from Woodstock, NY
- The Vibe: Upstate New York charm, an idyllic blend of history and contemporary design
- Food + Drink: Good food and even better drinks. The B&B has indoor and outdoor dining at The Clubhouse Restaurant & Bar which feels like a rustic fine dining joint. Helmed by Executive Chef Robert Escalante, the cuisine is crafted from fresh seasonal produce sourced from the area’s best artisans, purveyors and farmers.
- Our Favorite Thing About the Hotel: The firepits. After an incredible dinner at The Clubhouse Restaurant & Bar, the area is a great place to breathe in the fresh air of the Catskills and enjoy a drink with your loved ones – and even meet new friends who are sharing a similar experience upstate.
- What’s Nearby: The charming town of Woodstock, New York is under 30 minutes away from the property. Further, the property is just 25 minutes from Hunter Mountain and 35 minutes of Kaaterskill Falls.
- Any Personal Neighborhood Recs? After a delicious breakfast – and a hike or visit to the on-site creek – drive up to Woodstock, New York to do some shopping or check out the restaurants. Personal favorites in Woodstock include Woodstock Music Shop (beyond records they also sell beautiful handmade vinyl art); Early Terrible and SILVIA for finer dining.
- Closest Airport: The nearest airport to the Catskills is Albany (ALB) Airport which is 41.1 miles away. Other nearby airports include Hartford (BDL) (83.7 miles), White Plains (HPN) (86.7 miles), Hartford Barnes Apt (BNH) (87.3 miles) and New Haven (HVN) (98.1 miles).
- Starting Rate: Starting at $335/night
OTHER ARTICLES YOU MAY LIKE: