Upon arrival at Cala de Mar Ixtapa, all it takes is one glance at the incredible views to spark an unforgettable sensorial journey.
Cala de Mar is an immaculately designed cliffside retreat that seems to immediately evoke a sense of serenity. Ensconced in the lush Sierra Madre Occidental mountain range, the honey-toned sanctuary contrasts dramatically with the surrounding tropical greenery, craggy cliffside, and deep blue hues of the waves lapping below. The resort has 54 rooms, all of which boast privileged west-facing vistas of the open ocean, framing sensational kaleidoscopic sunsets each evening. Here, a sense of seclusion reigns supreme: Rooms and suites may come in a variety of sizes, but all feature private outdoor terraces and individual plunge pools hidden out of sight from neighboring guests. Cala de Mar is also home to Ixtapa’s only world-class wellness center. The award-winning El Capricho Spa offers an extensive menu of sumptuous therapies and beauty treatments, plus a dedicated fitness room and oceanfront outdoor deck that hosts yoga and pilates classes.
Guests at Cala de Mar are spoiled for choice with several dining options (and, you guessed it, they all have killer views). For casual fare, snag a table at the Terrace Bar to enjoy botanas and tapas dishes, or head to Las Rocas for all-day. At Seafood Market, daily fresh catch from the surrounding seas is the highlight. Whatever seafood specialty you choose, it’ll be cooked to order and served with a variety of different sauces. And at A Mares—the only air-conditioned restaurant in the region—you’ll find inventive contemporary spins on regional Mexican specialties on the flavor-packed dinner menu. Cala de Mar’s concierge can also arrange for cooking classes led by the property’s culinary team.
Around the resort, endless opportunities abound for outdoor recreation. Embark on water-based day trips scuba diving, whale watching, snorkeling, or kayaking; on land, activities like bird watching, horseback riding, biking the nearby Ciclopista de Ixtapa, and golfing at Ixtapa’s two 18-hole championship golf courses are also a possibility.
- Food + Drink: Four dining outlets on the premises offer plenty of opportunities to switch up meals every day without ever leaving the hotel.
- Amenities: Outdoor swimming pool; garden; pet-friendly accommodations; four on-site restaurants; fitness center; spa
- Our favorite thing about the hotel: The way the property cascades down a hill right into the ocean—an absolutely stunning setting unrivaled by other hotels in the region. Even though the rooms are stacked on top of each other—that’s part of the charm—tranquility and privacy can be found in every corner.
- 5 Nearby Attractions: Cuatas Beach, Don Juan Beach, Quieta Beach, El Palmar Beach, Linda Beach
- Any personal neighborhood recs? Grab a bike and cruise the nearby cycling trails in town—a great way to immerse yourself in nature (other than heading to the beach or hiring a boat for the day). Otherwise, head to Zijuantanejo’s charming pedestrian quarter less than 30 minutes away for a mezcal tasting or waterfront dinner.
- Rooms: There are 54 rooms; all facing the ocean with private plunge pools. A dream for privacy seekers!
- Pricing: Rates start at $327/night.
- Closest Airport: Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo International Airport