Some destinations stir something deep inside. The coastal capital city of Mallorca, Palma sizzles with its mix of seaside glamour, enchanting architecture, and vibrant energy. Tucked away on a narrow cobbled street in the historic La Lonja quarter sits Can Bordoy Grand House & Garden. Sultry, languor permeates the entire property that was originally a private residence, then a nunnery, and now an intimate oasis of discrete decadence, romance, and relaxation. This enticing jewel-box hotel honors the building’s historical grandeur and the organic beauty of its grounds while injecting a heady dose of eccentricity, sensuality, and contemporary flair.
A scintillating example of this aesthetic philosophy comes across in the back garden, which feels like a secret botanical oasis. Framed by lush foliage, the pool deck is a glorious place to spend a leisurely afternoon swimming or reading a steamy romance novel in a quiet, shaded corner. Another entrancing al fresco space, the rooftop terrace has a glass-bottom plunge piscine and sweeping panoramas.
The wild, untamed beauty of the outdoors creeps inside in many alluring ways. Vines climb across the walls and ceiling in the atmospheric living room lounge that’s punctuated by gold-framed mirrors, art from the owner’s private collection, crystal chandeliers, and leather sofas. At the long natural stone bar, mixologists fuse seasonal produce, herbs, and spirits into tantalizing tipples.
The gastronomic concept of Botànic is also deeply rooted in nature. Chef Andres Benítez elevates plant-forward cuisine with sensuous veg-centric dishes and delectable desserts (try the matcha cheesecake with orange chutney and yuzu). Tables spill out from the birdcage-ornamented dining room onto the leafy courtyard.
For a different kind of indulgence, meander down to the serene subterranean spa where candles illuminate 12th-century stone walls and sensorial rituals promote pleasure and well-being. Facials use products by prestige plant-powered skincare brand, Swiss Perfection. The deep tissue massages and body wraps are beyond blissful. The prospect of having your stress melt away in a breezy poolside treatment cabana is also quite tempting.
The 24 guest sanctuaries are individually styled with character-rich details and sumptuous touches—plush headboards, velvet curtains, and custom-made wooden minibar cabinets. The larger suites wow with freestanding oval bathtubs. King-sized beds with adjustable firmness mattresses and a bespoke pillow menu ensure a restful slumber. Because breakfast is served all day, there’s no need to worry about missing out on smoothie bowls and fluffy omelets if you sleep in a little, err a lot.
- Location: Palma, Spain
- Rating: Five-Star
- The Vibe: An irresistible, vegetation-shrouded oasis with an aura of romance in the historic heart of Palma.
- Food + Drink: Botànic brings diners along on a plant-forward culinary journey full of delicious flavors. (Rock-ribbed carnivores will appreciate the meat options, too.) Guests can also savor in-suite, rooftop, and poolside dining. The bar offers a selection of artisan cocktails and top-shelf spirits.
- Amenities: Restaurant; bar; pool; hot tub; spa; rooftop terrace; concierge; Wi-Fi
- 5 Nearby Attractions: Catedral-Basílica de Santa María de Mallorca, Llotja de Palma, Royal Palace of La Almudaina, Banys Àrabs, Paseo Maritimo
- Any Personal Neighborhood Recs? The La Lonja quarter is home to many romantic restaurants and wine bars (Wineing has a self-pour tap system that allows you to taste any of the vino that’s available). It’s less than a five-minute walk to Passeig del Born, a beautiful tree-lined boulevard with designer shops and cafés.
- Rooms: 24 individually decorated suites appointed with hand-picked antiques and bespoke furnishings.
- Pricing: Rooms start at $320/night
- Closest Airport: Palma de Mallorca Airport
Other articles you may like: