Mountain Shadows Resort Scottsdale is an iconic retreat right in the heart of Arizona’s Paradise Valley. The resort opened in 1959 and shortly after underwent a $4-million, 80-acre expansion adding a par-56 golf course, clubhouse, a new hotel, and additional private residences. After 10+ years of changing ownership multiple times, the resort began its rebirth and was reintroduced in 2017 with a completely brand new remodel after being rebuilt from the ground up. Mid-century modern decor, welcoming bright light, and bold design set the vibe for the luxurious desert hotel. You can still feel the history of the original hotel’s design, but what now stands against the backdrop of Camelback Mountain is the epitome of desert luxury.
Once you enter the property, you’ll be greeted by expansive floor-to-ceiling windows that look over towards the mountains. You’ll walk through a brightly lit tunnel that will take you to the rest of the hotel including a high-end shop, restaurant and bar Hearth ‘61, and the massive pool deck fully equipped with lounge chairs and private cabanas, and the gym.
A favorite for hotel guests and locals alike, Hearth ‘61 is an award-winning restaurant open for breakfast through dinner. Think American fare that is rich in tradition, drawing ingredients and flavors that are locally sourced. Any seat in the restaurant is the best seat in the house since you’ll be facing Camelback Mountain. Our advice – make a reservation for sunset time because there really is nothing like watching the sunset against the beautiful mountain landscape.
The rooms are really where you will feel the warmth, coziness, and design of the hotel. Bright natural light, modern decor, and exquisite design greet you from the moment you open your door. The high ceilings will instantaneously make you feel like you’re in a vacation home with perfectly curated art and books decorating the room. The highlight design amenity is the full glass shower that stands in the middle of the room through an open bathroom layout.
Another unique feature of the rooms is if you want to indulge in a spa treatment, they bring them right to you. Instead of having a traditional spa outlet on site, you can enjoy your massage right in your room or suite, or outside on your patio or balcony. Options include Swedish, Thai, Shiatsu, reflexology, and more.
There are a range of rooms and suites to choose from – or you can book one of the residences for a more luxurious experience. Pricing is super reasonable (starting at around $200) and appropriately increases as you go up in the room category.
This getaway is the perfect spot for couples to enjoy a long weekend away, whether they’re looking to celebrate something special or just take a much-needed vacation. Or if you’re a local, you’ll want to take advantage of The Short Course golf course. As part of the 2017 redesign, the course is now a true par-3 that is built around the natural landscape and gorgeous vistas.
The scenery is enough to draw you in but the hospitality and modern upscale accommodations are what will keep you coming back for more.
- Location: Paradise Valley/Scottsdale, Arizona
- Stars: Four-Star
- The Vibe: A luxurious desert oasis built below Camelback Mountain right in the heart of Paradise Valley.
- Amenities: Two Pools, Two Restaurants/Bars, Golf Course, Free Wi-Fi, and Pet-Friendly Accomodations
- Food + Drink: Open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, Hearth ’61 is an open kitchen concept serving fresh seasonal American cuisine. Their bar is also a great spot to grab a mimosa to start your day or a classic cocktail to end your night. If you’re spending your days playing on their golf course, a meal at Rusty’s is a must. Eat in their stylish lounge or outside on the shaded patio overlooking Camelback Mountain.
- Our Favorite Thing About the Hotel: They are super pet friendly & provide all of the accommodations you would need without charging any pet fee.
- Any Personal Neighborhood Recs? Yes! You’re just a 10-minute drive away from Old Town Scottsdale, a lively neighborhood filled with restaurants and bars. Make a reservation at Toca Madera Scottsdale. You’ll feel like you walked into a massive garden with an oversized tree in the middle. Enjoy their modern take on traditional Mexican dishes, featuring unique plates and specialty craft cocktails. CALA Scottsdale is a new spot named after a tiny beach cove street, Cala Road in Mallorca. Think upscale beachy vibes.
- Pricing: Rates start at $207/night
- Rooms: 183 guest rooms and 33 residences. We stayed in a premium Garden Guestroom, which felt more like an upscale studio apartment. Think super high ceilings, floor-to-ceiling windows, and a private oversized patio. My favorite feature was the open bathroom layout, with a full glass shower right in the middle.
- Closest Airport: Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport