Milan often gets a rep as Italy’s lesser-beautiful, industrial-heavy city. But, you heard it here: Italy’s second-largest metropolis and fashion capital brims with trendsetters and refined Italian design, appearing different from any other place in the country. When thinking of a stay that presents Italian elegance in the heart of Milan, we can’t help but think of the Hotel Principe di Savoia, a Dorchester Collection hotel.
Since 1927, Hotel Principe di Savoia has been wrapping its guests in authentic Italian glamor from the moment they arrive. Sitting in the capital of fashion and design, expect modern luxury suites intermixed with traditional Milanese interiors: velvet-lined furnishings, floral patterned rugs and dramatic window curtains. After exploring the lively streets of Milan, return for a refined cocktail and moody piano music at The Principe Bar (We’re dying to try the Chic and Cheek champagne crafted cocktail with pear vodka, elderflower cordial and lychee liqueur), then enjoy a seasonal Italian gourmet, private dining experience surrounded by hanging Swarovski crystals at Tavolo Cristallo.
The ultimate luxury stay people are seeking at this splendid hotel is their opulent Presidential Suite — the most upmarket selection. Set on the tenth and top floor, the treasured suite boasts three en-suite bedrooms, a formal dining room fitting up to six people and a Pompeii-style spa that includes a swimming pool featuring painted al-fresco ceilings, a sauna, jacuzzi and Turkish bath embellished in a hand-painted, mosaic-tiled lounge. While sipping on a glass of complementary Veuve Clicquot champagne and cozying up to the regal room’s working fireplace, notice the breathtaking view of the Piazza della Repubblica for an experience suited for royalty.
Often lauded as the world’s most exceptional suite, the Presidential Suite at Hotel Principe di Savoia has not only hosted some of the world’s most famed celebrities, but has also starred in a Hollywood film itself (Remember Sophia Coppla’s movie, Somewhere?). Those lucky to stay in the suite also have access to the hotel’s Club 10 Fitness & Beauty Center’s private heated swimming pool that offers the penthouse as another way to work out and relax.
Needless to say, the Presidential Suite exudes the word “Instagrammable.”
- Location: Milan, Italy
- Stars: Five-Star
- The Vibe: Old-age, traditional Milanese ritz in the heart of Italy’s second largest city.
- Food + Drink: Chef Buffolino celebrates traditional pasta dishes with a contemporary twist at the Acanto Restaurant — open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Sitting at the heart of the hotel, Il Salotto serves quick bites and a legendary cioccolata (hot chocolate). The Principe Bar sets the mood with a grand piano-centered lounge and menu of refined cocktails. A private dining experience awaits at Tavolo Cristallo, where guests are surrounded by hanging Swarovski crystals while devouring seasonal Italian delights.
- Property Amenities: Indoor swimming pool; Spa; Butler service; Free WiFi; Garden; Sun deck
- Our favorite thing about the hotel? The Presidential Suite’s sumptuous aesthetic outranks many other suites we’ve stayed at in the city.
- Any neighborhood recs? Yes, Milan has so much to offer. Shopping the boutiques within the neighborhood of Brera will delight all looking for chic Italian accouterments. If you love art, Fondazione Prada — an art foundation founded by Milan powerhouse brand Prada — is cool, contemporary art that will blow your mind.
- What’s Nearby: Porta Venezia; Villa Necchi Campiglio; Sforza Castle; Palazzo della Ragione; Duomo Square; Museo Del Novecento
- Rooms: 301—but again, our favorite is the Presidential Suite.
- Closest Airport: Milan Linate Airport
Other articles you may like: