Driving through the gate that leads into Coquillade Provence Resort & Spa, a member of Relais & Châteaux, vineyards, olive trees, Mediterranean pines, and lavender fields come into view. Native plants provide an aromantic and picturesque first impression that’s further enhanced by the relaxing ambiance, ample amenities, and variety of sunlit indoor and outdoor spaces scattered across this 100-acre estate in the heart of the Luberon.
Upon arrival, guests are greeted with sweet treats and Champagne in the revitalized lobby that blends traditional furnishings and contemporary art. Fragrant flowers punctuate the stone pathways leading toward the rest of the storybook village turned luxury resort.
Guests can drift off to dreamland in accommodations ranging from charming rooms to large suites with pools and jacuzzis. The harmonious use of neutral hues and natural materials lends a sense of serenity. Patios surrounded by the beauty of the Luberon provide the perfect spot for nights spent sipping rosé, listening to the sounds of cicadas, and gazing up at the stars.
The 21,527-square-foot spa is a sanctuary dedicated to well-being with 13 treatment cabins and signature services that incorporate locally sourced ingredients. Facials utilize two luxury skincare brands: Biologique Recherche, a Parisian cult-favorite famed for its clinical-grade actives, and Tata Harper, a US-based clean beauty pioneer. Spa-goers get to bliss out in the sauna, hammam, Kneipp pools, ice fountain, sensory shower, heated indoor pool, outdoor jacuzzis, relaxation room, herbal tearoom, and garden, too. There’s also a cycling center, gym with state-of-the-art weight and cardio equipment, yoga and fitness classes, tennis and bocce courts, and two huge outdoor pools.
The food and beverage offerings are outstanding. Les Vignes highlights seasonal Provençal ingredients in a vineyard-facing venue that’s swathed in nature-inspired tones of grassy green and sunshine yellow.
La Cipressa brings Sicily to the South of France with homemade pasta and wood-fired pizza in a breezy outdoor setting. The poolside Luberon Bar serves light bites and drinks. Unexpected for the region are the delicious Thai dishes on the menu at Le Bar, which also mixes up creative cocktails that can be enjoyed in the colorful bar or on the terrace. An elegant fine-dining restaurant that marries French and Japanese flavors is set to open next year.
The property also houses 90 acres of vineyards and the Aureto Winery, which offers guided tours and tastings.
- Location: Gargas, Provence, France
- Stars: Five-Star
- The Vibe: A lavender-scented refuge of luxury and laid-back Provençale pleasures in the Luberon.
- Food + Drink: Vineyard views and seasonal Provençal cuisine delights diners at Les Vignes. La Cipressa serves delicious homemade pasta and wood-fired pizza. Le Bar is a colorful spot for Thai dishes and creative cocktails. Thanks to Luberon Bar, you don’t need to leave the pool area for refreshing drinks and casual fare. Avelan, the forthcoming French-meets-Japanese fine-dining restaurant, will open in 2023.
- Amenities: Spa with sauna, hammam steam bath, Kneipp pools, ice fountain, sensory shower, heated indoor pool, outdoor Jacuzzis, relaxation room, herbal tearoom, and private garden; BMC cycling center; gym; tennis courts; bocce ball courts; two outdoor pools; babysitting services; vineyards and the Aureto Winery; La Chapelle d’Art.
- What’s Nearby: Gordes, Goult, Bonnieux, Lourmarin, and Roussillon.
- Any Personal Neighborhood Recs? Many beautiful hilltop villages, wineries—including Château les Eydins—and the famous Le Sentier des Ocres are just a short drive away.
- Rooms: 63 rooms and suites, plus a private villa that sleeps 14 guests. Five luxury pool suites will debut in 2023.
- Starting Nightly Rate: Rooms start at $470/night
- Closest Airport: Marseilles Provence Airport